You may find your old tactical helmet somewhere in your home if you once used it. Well, it may be in some cases at some corner of your house. As you didn’t use it for a long time, it may be unable to use again. So it is important to properly maintain your tactical helmet.
If you were in the military or even not, you usually can use tactical helmets. These helmets can provide your safety from any kinds of accident. Knowing how to use a tactical helmet is important so that you can bring the best use of it. Not only proper using but also maintenance of it also a very important thing.
So I am going to discuss how to use and maintenance of tactical helmets.
How to use a tactical helmet?
The step-by-step guideline on how use a tactical helmet is given below:
1. When you are thinking of using a tactical helmet, then you should consider the weight of it. The weight of your tactical helmet should match with your needs. Some of them are heavyweight and some are lightweight.
The lightweight helmets will provide you less protection. A lightweight one can take the exact same resistance to penetration but when it comes to the back free deformation or blunt impact numbers, then the possibility of non-resistance increases.
The heavier ones will give little extra protection. If you wear it for a very long time, then lightweight helmets can excel. As you can see weight can make a great difference, so you need to choose which type you want to use.
2. The second option that needs your attention is accessories and compatibility. Modern army helmets will provide you various advantages like lights, O2 masks, communication systems, up-armor etc. different types of companies have their different accessories to provide. These can give you more comfort as well as safety.
The helmets that work across multiple retention system types are better to use. Well-known companies are always god in this regard. Those which have designs to work across multiple retention systems and other accessories allow personalization of your helmet.
3. Each helmet has its own retention system. There are two categories of retention system. One is which has dial adjustment in the back and another is which does not have any dial adjustment. The pros of dial adjustment are it allows additional adjustment and will deliver you a great fit. It has a con and that is it takes extra room inside the helmet.
You may look into the tests that various types of companies place over different types of helmets. From those, you can see the results of the tests and choose the best one for yours.
4. When using helmets, helmet pad is a great issue and if not comfortable it can develop many kinds of problems. When you are trying helmets then look into how comfortable the helmet pad is. Poorly designed pads can cause fatigue and headache. And the normal hot spot is the general issue of poor pads. Too hard, thin or soft helmets can increase the possibility of brain damage.
There has a favor for you that you can change the pads of some helmets. So if you need then change the pad. The helmet which has Velcro disc inside the helmet allows changing the pad. So use helmets which have Velcro disc.
5. You can try different systems to find out which one will be fit for you. Keep the helmet secure so that these are not in touch of any damage. Which helmets can resist penetration good are the best to use because you will feel secure with those helmets.
Maintenance of tactical helmets
Putting effort to maintain the helmet and taking time is necessary if you want your helmet too long last.
Cleaning the tactical helmets
For cleaning helmet shell-
- Use a mild soap to clean it. Mix soap with fresh water and take a brush to wash out any dark dirt. The brush with which you are cleaning the helmet should be soft.
- After putting soap, rinse the helmet thoroughly and make sure that there is no dirt or soap left.
- Leave it for air drying. It will be better if you keep it indoors and take away from direct sunlight.
For retention system –
- First, remove it from the helmet. Otherwise, you won't be able to clean it.
- Use fresh water and mild soap. Do not use any brush hard or soft for cleaning retention system. Handwash with water and mild soap.
- As like as helmet shell keep it in indoors and better away from any kind of direct sunlight.
For suspension system (pads) –
- Slowly peeling the hook and fastener from the pad, remove it.
- Some pads may be semi-permeable so if there is any moisture, squeeze out that.
- Wash it with fresh water and mild soap. Do not use any brush, apply just your hands to wash.
- Again squeeze out moisture as you wash it with water.
- Keep it away from direct sunlight or heat. After washing it, keep it indoors for air dry.
For helmet accessories –
- For this, you need to follow the manufacturer instruction. Remove non-helmet accessories.
- Don’t need to remove helmet shroud and rails unless it is necessary to clean.
- Use water and mild soap and rinse the accessories.
- For dirt and debris, use a soft brush for cleaning. Avoid any kind of rough brush.
Next, it comes to the inspection.
For helmet shell –
- First, check the exterior part of the shell if there are any dents. If there present, then it has the possibility to be in the inside. If any dents are fount, the helmet shell should be replaced.
- Look for any deep scratches or major gouges. If the scratches are exposing helmet fibers, then you need to replace it with another.
- Stripped out bolts and holes would not do any good. So check for stripped out bolts and holes.
- Interior hook and pile are used for pad attachment. Inspect through the hook and pile. If there is any peeling tap or round patches, then that need to be replaced with the new ones.
- Inspect through the edging gaskets. If there are any tears or compromises, then you need to replace the shell of the helmet.
- Last of all you need to check manufacturer sticker as well as warranty date. If you have a warranty and you are facing big issues with your helmet shell, then you can go to that store from where you have bought the helmet. They will provide you with a solution for it.
For retention and suspension system –
- Inspect all the bolts to make yourself sure that there is no stripped snug or threads. Then check for rust on the metals.
- Inspect the side buckle as well as the closure snaps.
- Inspect pads if there are any tears or rips. If you find, replace it with another pad. Before placing a new one, make sure that the pad is clean enough.
For rails and shrouds –
- Inspect all the helmet accessories to ensure that those are tight and fit to the helmet.
- Shroud should be locked to the place. So the thing you need to inspect is the shroud is tightly in the place or not.
- Ensure all the rail accessories of the helmet are secure.
Tips and tricks
- The helmet should fit you. When you are trying the helmets, don’t think about pads. Just try it and which one fits you and you feel comfortable, choose that one.
- You need to take care of your helmet if you want it to last long. For that, you can paint on the fiber layers. Regularly check your helmet if there is any kind of defects. If you face any problems don't hesitate and contact the manufacturer of that helmet. There you will find a definite solution rather than asking anyone.
- Color selection should not be matter because there is paint with which you can paint your helmet over. Again helmet cover is also available now if you want to have something different. So give the priority of your comfort, not the color.
- There are test results of almost every company's helmet. So when you are going for buying any helmet do not afraid to ask for the test documentation. Ask for it to the manufacturer and they will provide you with it.
Nowadays for the safety of the purpose, many people try to keep an extra helmet. Tactical helmets are designed basically like the military but anyone can have this helmet as these provide some specific benefit and security to you. But having it can't be all because you need to know how to use it and maintain the helmet.
I have discussed these two important factors with some tips above. So now, I am sure, you can use your tactical helmet by maintaining it properly.