Working or going out in cold winter days isn’t comfortable at all if you do not have the proper gears and clothing. Winter dresses should have the quality that can protect us from the chilling cold and at the same time it is comfy to wear. Softshell jackets are the one that can make your life easy even when it’s really cold outside. A tactical softshell jacket can save you from the stings of cold waves.
Now here’s the thing:
One quick search on the internet will give you a lot of results but you’ll be lucky if you get something that really suits your needs which is where we come in. Today, we’ll be taking a look at the ins and outs of selecting an ideal softshell jacket as well as 10 of the best reviewed in 2019.
Let’s get to it then. First, right down below is a comparison chart to get you started then the product reviews will follow.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best softshell jackets comparison chart
- 10 Best Softshell Jackets In 2019 Reviews
- 1. Columbia Men’s Ascender Softshell Front-Zip Jacket
- 2. Women’s Hooded Waterproof Jacket – Diamond Candy
- 3. Rothco Special Ops Soft Shell Jacket
- 4. LTIFONE Mens Casual Jacket Zip Up Lightweight Bomber
- 5. ARSUXEO Winter Warm UP Thermal Fleece Cycling Jacket Windproof
- 6. FREE SOLDIER Men’s Outdoor Waterproof Soft Shell Hooded Military Tactical Jacket
- 7. Rothco Special Ops Soft Shell Jacket
- 8. Rain Jacket, Men’s Waterproof Jackets with Hood
- 9. Port Authority Women’s Core Soft Shell Jacket
- 10. Columbia Women’s Kruser Ridge(TM) Softshell Jacket
- How to get the best soft shell jackets
- Softshell vs Hardshell Jacket
- How to wash soft shell jackets?
- Final verdict
10 Best softshell jackets comparison chart
Not so fast, before we take a look at the product reviews, how about you take a look at the buying guide below? Listed below and in order are the best of the best you can get in 2019. If you’re in a hurry, save yourself the trouble of having to read all the way to the end- it’s just as good as the reviews.
Water-resistant,Abrasion resistant,Machine Wash
Waterproof,Anti Microbial,Air permeability,Wear proof,Removable hood
Wicking fabric, Polyester
Waterproof, Detachable Hood & Zippers Under Each Arm For Ventilation,
95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
Lightweight and elastic fabric, fall spring and winter jacket
Breathable & 4-Way stretch fabric
Cold winter weather,front are windproof & waterproof,comfortable for cycling,
Shark Skin fabric
Water-resistant, windproof, breathable, pretty warm, 3D three-dimensional rim hood
Wicking fabric, Polyester
Waterproof, Detachable Hood & Zippers Under Each Arm For Ventilation,
Waterproof, Windproof, Breathable,suitable for hiking, fishing, cycling, climbing, traveling, skating
Waterproof, Windproof, Breathable,Machine Wash
100% Polyester,100% Nylon lining
Waterproof, Windproof, Breathable,Machine Wash
10 Best Softshell Jackets In 2019 Reviews
We always like to start off our reviews on a high note which is why we’ll be taking a look at the Columbia Men’s Ascender soft shell jacket.
What makes it the best:
Easy to clean up
The easier it is to clean, the faster you can have it on, right? Well, regarding the material used on this soft shell jacket is the Nextgen Contour Soft shell that is 100% polyester, it is machine washable hence saves you the hassle of long hand washing processes.
Comfortable and up to the task
Picking off from our previous point, the jacket is designed to give you the comfort of a heavy sweatshirt and the performance of a hard-shell jacket.
It has a rugged design and it’s warm and durable but at the same time boasts a presentable design
Outstanding design and build quality
For the construction, it has got 100% polyester construction, it’s also water resistant and has an abrasion resistant chin guard
- angle-double-rightIt’s machine washable hence easy to get clean
- angle-double-rightIt has a zipper, adjustable cuffs and drawcord for utmost comfort
- angle-double-rightit is completely water resistant which gives you utmost versatility
- angle-double-rightit runs small and may be difficult to get a perfect fit.
Comfortable, durable and it’s perfect for any outdoor activities. Here’s one for the ladies and definitely worth every penny. It can be one of the best soft shell ski jacket on this price range.
A stylish and top of the line design
Starting with the design and build quality, it features 4 pockets which will come in handy outdoors for carrying more items. It also includes a hood that’s removable and has got adjustable cuffs and a high collar to protect your neck.
In addition to style:
It is a combination of ‘human engineering’ hence suitable for most outdoor activities- definitely the best soft shell ski jacket
Comfortable and weatherproof
The fabric is 100% nylon and quality waterproof. It is also anti-microbial has got air permeability hence it’s breathable. the seams are also fully sealed to keep you comfortable at all times.
It’s durably constructed
For the constriction, it includes an outer layer coating for water protection and has got the Omni-tech waterproof feature. The overall fabric is of high quality and it’s got adjustable cuffs and a high collar that’s ideal for protecting your neck.
- angle-double-rightIt’s lightweight hence suitable for outdoor activities.
- angle-double-rightComfortable and weatherproof.
- angle-double-rightIt features 4 pockets to carry more items.
- angle-double-rightThe zipper is a little hard to maneuver.
It’s not every day that you’ll come across a soft-shell thicket that’s as awesome as this one. Have a look below at why this one will serve you best…
Includes a 3-layer construction
For the design, you’ll be getting a 3-layer construction that functions to deflect away from the wind, wicks away any moisture and at the same time ensures that your body heat is retained
It’s well ventilated
Besides just being one of the best for weatherproofing, it has got a fleece lined collar that’s got a concealed and detachable hood and zippers under each arm. These serve quite well as far as ventilation is concerned
Offers an adjustable and snug fit
For the fit, it’s got a 4”x4” loop field on each of the shoulders. There is also a drawstring for the waist and an elastic hook and loop wrist cuffs all of which give you an adjustable fit.
Regarding the design, the collar is fleece lined and has a concealed detachable hood
- angle-double-rightIt’s got zippers under each arm for ventilation.
- angle-double-rightA drawstring is included on the waist and it’s got loop wrist cuffs for an adjustable fit.
- angle-double-rightBoasts an outstanding 3-layer construction for weatherproofing.
- angle-double-rightThe arms and the area around the neck fits a little too tight.
Quality and style all in one is undoubtedly a combination that’s not easy to come across, right? Well, there’s no way you could go wrong with this soft-shell jacket.
A stylish design
Starting with what stands out most in this soft shell jacket, you’ll be getting a jacket that’s made out of 95% polyester and 5% spandex
The sleeves are long, it’s got a round neck, a casual blouson, solid colors, it’s a short jacket, a smooth metal zips up closure which renders it ideal for all seasons.
A comfortable fabric
For the fabric construction, this blazer jacket has a lightweight and elastic fabric. The material is also really sturdy and will keep the wind out while being flexible at the same time. The material is also breathable, stretchy and crease resistant.
You’ll be warm and comfortable every time you have it on and it’ll be the best men’s soft shell jacket for casual occasions as well as outdoor activities.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got a stylish design
- angle-double-rightMade out of lightweight and elastic fabric
- angle-double-rightIt’s crease resistant even after cleaning it.
- angle-double-rightIt’s not loose fitting and you should order a size or two up for a loose fit.
We’re already halfway on our reviews and coming up 5th, we’ve got quite an outstanding soft shell jacket from ARSUXEO. Here’s what you’ll be getting from it.
A 4-way stretch fabric
With comfort in mind, the fabric used in the construction of this soft-shell jacket has got a 4-way stretch fabric on all the black-colored sections of your jacket.
It also does have a breathable function that keeps you both comfortable and dry when using it
Includes a reflective stripe and brand logo
Whether you’re just walking in low light conditions or cycling, it ensures utmost safety as it has a reflective stripe at the back and the same goes for the brand logo. There’s definitely no better way to guarantee your safety
For protection against weather elements. It’s waterproof and windproof and in addition to this there’s a warm-up fleece inside that keeps you warm in cold weather.
Includes zipper pocket and a back pocket for safe storage
Besides the quality construction, it does have zipper pockets as well as a back pocket for safe storage of your equipment.
- angle-double-rightMade out of a 4-way stretchable fabric for a snug fit.
- angle-double-rightWaterproof, windproof and includes an inside fleece for warmth.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got a reflective stripe and brand logo for utmost safety.
- angle-double-rightIt runs small on the size and you may have to choose 1 or 2 sizes up
This one’s definitely got to be the best tactical softshell jacket. Besides the aesthetics alone, you’ll be getting plenty much more.
It’s got an auxiliary ventilation system
Starting with the design alone, you’ll be getting the auxiliary ventilation system. This allows for optimal airflow all the time you have it on. In addition to this, there is a zipper to keep you dry and comfortable by letting out moisture under your arm.
Includes a 3D rim hood
At the rear side of the collar is a 3-dimensional rim hood that can easily be hidden when not in use and expanded when need be, hence making the jacket windproof. You can also store this as a stand-up collar
Comes with functional zipper pockets
Being one of the best tactical softshell jackets, it has got functional zipper pockets that can fit on tactical equipment such as your gloves, wallet, a knife and so much more.
As for the fit, it has got adjustable cuffs as well as a drawstring for the waist- get a snug fit from tuning this to your preference
- angle-double-rightAn auxiliary ventilation system for optimal air flow.
- angle-double-rightHas got a 3D hood that’s easy to hide and expand- utmost versatility.
- angle-double-rightIncludes functional zipper pockets for tactical equipment.
- angle-double-rightIt runs small hence you may need to go one size up.
Enjoy a nice and comfortable fit, and one of the best results as far as waterproofing is concerned. Here’s yet another tactical soft shell jacket that will be worth every penny. Let’s get straight onto our Rothco soft shell jacket review.
A 3-layer construction for weatherproofing
Considering that you may need to have it almost all the time you’re outdoors, it is of utmost importance that you get to have the best weatherproofing.
With a 3-layer construction, it will be able to deflect the wind, wick away moisture and it will also retain the heat within your body.
It also does have a fleece lined collar
For the ventilation, it does have a detachable hood and in addition to this, there are zippers under each arm which ensure that you get the best ventilation.
A snug and comfortable fit
In addition to the ventilation and the weatherproofing, you will also be getting a really good fit. There is a drawstring for the waist for a comfortable fit and there are also elastic hooks and loop wrist cuffs that are adjustable to give you the perfect fit.
- angle-double-rightIt has a polyester waterproof shell.
- angle-double-rightIncludes detachable hood and zippers under each arm for ventilation.
- angle-double-rightEasily adjustable for a perfect fit.
- angle-double-rightYou might need to order one size up as it runs small.
With the lots of soft shell jackets you could get for your money today, this one really does have a lot in store for you- comfortable, fitting and so much more.
it’s got a comfortable design
Starting with the design, this jacket is 3D tailored which makes it one of the best shell jackets that are combined with the men’s figure. Included in the design are also Velcro straps on the cuffs that allow you to get a comfortable fit really fast
Durable construction and a good fit
For the construction, the fabric used on this jacket is 100% polyester. Still, at that, it comes in different sizes ranging from extra small to extra-large.
It is of utmost importance that you pick the correct size to ensure that you get the perfect fit.
For the construction, it is breathable, waterproof and bound to offer you the best protection from rain and heat
Includes storage pockets
In addition to a good fit and durable construction, it does have 2 inside pockets, one inside pocket and 1 breast pocket.
- angle-double-right3D tailored for a perfect fit.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got 4 pockets that allow room for storage.
- angle-double-rightIt’s both breathable and waterproof and offers heat protection for utmost comfort.
- angle-double-rightBe gentle on the zipper, otherwise, it may break.
Looking for something that’s exclusively meant for the ladies, this ought to serve you perfectly. Let’s see what the Port Authority Women’s Core Soft Shell Jacket has for us, shall we?
Top of the line fabric quality
Starting with what is probably the most interesting feature on this soft shell jacket is the type of fabric it comes with.
It is 100% polyester woven shell that is then bonded with a water-resistant film insert as well as a 100% polyester microfleece lining. For the waterproofing, it obeys 100MM fabric waterproof rating ad the 100G/M2 fabric breathability rating.
It is machine washable
Cleaning it shouldn’t be a problem since it is machine washable. You, however, need to be careful to use non-chlorine bleach when needed. You should also use cold water and mix it with similar colors only.
You could also cool iron it if need be
A customizable and snug fit
For the fit, there’s an adjustable hood that also does have a locking drawcord which makes it possible for you to customize your fit.
There’s also a full-length interior storm flap with a chin guard and tricot-lined zippered pockets, zippered left sleeved pocket and open cuffs open hem with locking drawcord lines
- angle-double-rightIt’s got a waterproof and breathable design.
- angle-double-rightMachine washable hence easy to clean up.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got an adjustable hood with a locking drawcord for a customized fit.
- angle-double-rightYou need to be really careful when machine washing it to avoid damaging its quality.
Coming up last on our list is yet another one for the ladies. Is there more to this soft-shell jacket besides its large assortment of colors? Let’s find out…
Machine washable and easy to clean up
Being something that you won’t come across easily and definitely worth having on your soft shell jacket, the fact that the fabric is machine washable makes this worth every penny.
You’ll be able to get it clean and have it on in a really short time.
Quality material construction
For the construction, it boasts 100% polyester and 100% nylon construction both of which are imported. The material also allows for plenty of stretch hence optimal mobility.
It’s also amazingly weatherproof since it has got windproofing capabilities and high energy breathability
Offers a perfect fit
For the fit, there’s a zipper closure at the front which closes all the way up to the top to keep the heat in and the wind out.
It has got side entry pockets
Also included on the design are side entry pockets that you can use to either keep your palms warm or for storage when need be.
- angle-double-rightMachine washable hence fast and easy to clean.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got a zipper closure for warmth and a good fit.
- angle-double-rightConstructed with nylon and polyester for utmost weatherproofing.
- angle-double-rightIt runs large and might be a little loose.
How to get the best soft shell jackets
Well, the product listing is not enough for you to get the best and in order for you to have better odds in getting what suits you best, here’s a buying guide to get you started.
The material construction
This is one of the most important features you ought to watch out for when it comes to the selection of a soft shell jacket. Let’s take a look at what you should look into:
- Stretch woven fabrics:
if you want something that completely keeps off the wind, then this is definitely what you ought to go for. As a matter of fact, the difference between this and wind jackets is that they’re more durable, they stretch more and weigh more as well hence increased breathability and durability
The rule of thumb normally is the thicker the weave on your jacket, the better of it is in keeping the wind out
- Membrane lined fabrics:
Most of the jackets you will find in the market normally lie in this category. Most will have a membrane lamination to the inside of the nylon face fabric. This provides the jacked with windproofing capabilities and at the same time has got a little bit of waterproofing.
The downside to having this type of jacket is that it sacrifices the breathability function
- Hybrid soft shell jackets
Looking for something that has more weather resistant fabrics? This definitely what you ought to go for. On the shoulders of a hybrid soft shell jacket, you’ll get more weather resistant fabric on the arms and shoulders whereas the rest of the body has a material that is fairly breathable
How good is the fit?
I think you’ll agree to the fact that even the best quality soft shell jacket will do you no good if it has a poor fit, right? Most manufacturers normally have a size chart to aid you in picking out one that fits you best. You should go for something that is snug- neither should it be uncomfortably loose nor should it be too tight to restrict your movement.
When you hear breathability, the next thing that ought to come in mind is air permeability. For a breathable soft-shell jacket, this is all you need to have at your fingertips:
- The fabric used– the best fabric should be a stretch woven fabric since this allows for wind to go through the shell and pick up sweat hence causing us to dry out. At the same time, it should have a reasonable amount of thickness to keep out the wind.
- Precipitation protection– from fog to rain, any form of precipitation can find it’s way through a breathable soft shell jacket and onto your skin. To keep this out, it is best that you go for a jacket that has a DWR treatment which, unfortunately, wears out after some time.
The main idea behind getting the best soft shell jacket is getting something that has some weatherproofing features and insulation really is a major area of concern.
To get the best insulation, you’ll want to go for a soft shell jacket that has got a fleece lining. This is much warmer as compared to the ones that lack the fleece lining. If you’re also looking to get an ideal soft shell ski jacket, watch out for the fleece lining
Softshell vs Hardshell Jacket
Think of the soft shell jackets as the bridge between fleeces that are highly breathable and hard shell jackets. There’s a really thin line between the two; have a look at the differences between the softshell vs hardshell jackets below:
- Whereas hard shell jackets are completely waterproof, not all soft shell jackets are waterproof and the ones that are have got the DWR treatment
- When it comes to breathability, soft shell jackets are breathable whereas the hard-shell jackets are not.
- Mobility in a soft shell jacket is far much easier as compared to a hard shell jacket which is heavier but on the bright side offers more protection against weather elements especially moisture
How to wash soft shell jackets?
Cleaning a soft shell jacket should be quite simple even if you’re doing it for the first time. This is what you should do:
- First of all, you should check whether the jacket is machine washable or not. If so, it should be a quick and easy process and if otherwise, get the assortment of detergents to hand wash it.
- Regarding the instructions from the manufacturer, observe the detergents you’ll require to wash it. You may be needed to avoid some detergents to avoid damaging the waterproof layer.
- You should also pay attention to some specific part such as the area behind the neck, the arms and the armpits and the back region.
- Once you’re done with the washing, air it out to dry in the sun.
It’s been a good review of the best soft shell jackets and unfortunately, it’s time to wrap it all up. Based on all the 10 soft shell jackets that we’ve taken a look at, here’s my recommendation on what you ought to go for:
For the best men’s soft shell jacket, the Columbia Men’s Ascender Softshell Front-Zip Jacket should be perfect whereas the Columbia Women’s Kruser Ridge(TM) Softshell Jacket should be outstanding for the ladies. Also, as far as brands go, the Colombia brand ought to be the best in the market
Most importantly, you should really take your time when shopping for one since, from the buying guide, it’s clear that there’s a lot to consider in order to get a soft shell jacket that’ll give you optimal performance.