How far would you be willing to go in order to get yourself the best snowboard helmet? Well, I’d pretty much be willing to do whatever it takes.
But, think of this:
What if I told you that by the time we’re done you’ll have the best of the best at your disposal? Yes, that’s right, you’ll have 10 of the best in 2019. To complement the top 10 reviews, we also do have a complete buying to get you started on choosing the best.
Enough with the introductions already, let's get started right away by taking a look at the comparison chart then dive into today's main agenda.
Table of Contents
- Comparison on 10 Best Snowboard Helmets
- 10 Best Snowboard Helmets reviews in 2019
- 1. Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet
- 2. Lucky Bums Snow Sport Helmet with Fleece Liner
- 3. Traverse Sports Dirus Convertible Ski & Snowboard/Bike
- 4. Traverse Vigilis 2-in-1 Convertible Ski & Snowboard/Bike & Skate Helmet
- 5. Original - 1 Pack - [Kuyou] Helmet
- 6. Smith Optics SMITH Men's Aspect Helmet
- 7. Smith Optics 2019 Holt (Matte White) Snowboard Helmets
- 8. Outer Shell Outdoor Helmet for Multi-sports
- 9. Giro Ledge MIPS: Snow Helmet
- 10. Traverse Sparrow Youth Ski/Snowboard & Snowmobile Helmet
- How to get the best snowboard helmets
- Safety Features of Best Snowboard Helmets
- Cleaning of Snowboard Helmets
Comparison on 10 Best Snowboard Helmets
Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet
Lucky Bums Snow Sport Helmet with Fleece Liner
Traverse Sports Dirus Convertible Ski & Snowboard/Bike
Traverse Vigilis 2-in-1 Convertible Ski & Snowboard/Bike & Skate Helmet
Original - 1 Pack - [Kuyou] Helmet
Smith Optics SMITH Men's Aspect Helmet
Smith Optics 2019 Holt (Matte White) Snowboard Helmet
Outer Shell Outdoor Helmet for Multi-sports
Giro Ledge MIPS: Snow Helmet
Thermostat Control adjustable venting
Traverse Sparrow Youth Ski/Snowboard & Snowmobile Helmet
Yeah, you could read through the individual product reviews to get your pick but wouldn’t this be too much trouble if you want to get your hands on the best ASAP? Well, right down below is a comparison chart that’s equally as good as the product reviews. Do take a look.
10 Best Snowboard Helmets reviews in 2019
Whether you’re looking for the best men’s snowboard helmet, for the women or for kids, there’s no way you could possibly go wrong with this review
1. Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet
Kicking of our review is one of the best all season helmets you’ll get in 2019- the Bern Unlimited Watts EPS Summer Helmet. Let’s see what it’s got.
A thin shell with both ABS and EPS foam thickness
Starting with the most important feature any snowboarding helmet is expected to give you, this one comes with a thin shell which is a balance between ABS and polycarbonate. There is also the EPS foam thickness. With the two of these working hand in hand, it’s definitely going to be the safest and most durable snowboarding helmet.
A single sizing team fit system
Besides utmost protection, the fit is also one of the best. It does come in the small, medium, large, extra-large, extra-extra-large and extra-extra-extra-large.
Besides just having a variety of different sizes, there is a proprietary dial adjustment system that is simple to use for the best possible fit
Both lightweight and comfortable
The fact that it has a thin shell deems it as one of the lightest hence saves you from getting fatigued while snowboarding
2. Lucky Bums Snow Sport Helmet with Fleece Liner
If you’re looking for something will give you an all-around protection for any snow sports need, this one is definitely it.
Being the most important thing when selecting a snowboard helmet, this one comes with an ABS and EPS construction which complies to the EN1077 standards and is CE certified
The helmet also does have two reinforced layers with the outer shell having an ABS material and it is covered by an EPS outer shell for dual protection.
For the fit, it’s one of the few helmets that you’ll get with a lot of adjusting options. There are 4 sizes to choose from and there is also a micro adjustable strap which gives you a perfect and adjustable fit for almost anyone.
It does have an ear padding as well which makes it feel comfortable on your head.
Besides just having an adjustable strap and multiple sizes, it features a multiport with mesh screens that prevent the build-up of snow and at the same time allow optimal air flow. It also features a hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial treatment
3. Traverse Sports Dirus Convertible Ski & Snowboard/Bike
It comes in multiple sizes and it’s as comfortable as it is safe for use in snowboarding. Let’s find out why it’s the best snowboard helmet.
Includes 10 vents for ultimate temperature regulation
In order to ensure that you’re cool all the time, it’s got 10 vents that are strategically placed all around the helmet hence allowing for a thorough air ventilation.
By wicking away any moisture, your body temperature will be regulated
Has an ABS shell for the exterior
To protect you from any harm just in case of an impact, it does have a shock-absorbent EPS interior as well as an unyielding ABS exterior shell. With the two of these working hand in hand, you’ve definitely got the guarantee that your safety will not be compromised.
It’s got an adjustable dial for a customizable fit
It does come in 3 different sizing options for the small, the medium and the large size. In addition to this, the helmets in either of these categories can have the fit adjusted by the dial at the back to give you a snug and comfortable fit
4. Traverse Vigilis 2-in-1 Convertible Ski & Snowboard/Bike & Skate Helmet
Looking for the best snowboard helmet? Well, this one will definitely do you some justice. Do take a closer look at how much it’s got in store for you.
Has an adjustable EgroKnob dial for a snug fit
For the fit, it does have an EgroKnob at the rear, this is should be a red knob that can be adjusted with one hand on a scale of 1 to 11. Simply turn it clockwise to tighten and counterclockwise to loosen it.
Besides the adjustment knob, there’s also the chin strap which is adjustable and comes with a super soft cushion hence you don’t have to worry about getting chaffed
Includes 14 vents for temperature regulation
Besides just giving you a perfect fit, it has 14 vents that allow for optimal temperature regulation. These are strategically distributed at the back, the front and on the top.
It also does have a wire mesh that gives it more structure as well as a cloth mesh that wicks away the sweat and then transfers it for evaporation.
It has an unyielding ABS shell exterior and an EPS interior
For the protection, it has a hard ABS outer shell to protect you from impact and an EPS shell on the inside to absorb any shock from impact.
5. Original - 1 Pack - [Kuyou] Helmet
Let’s see whether the Original - 1 Pack - [Kuyou] Helmet has got.
A lightweight and safe design
Well, here’s a combination you don’t come across every day. The helmet measures only 4.7 pounds but even so, it’s safety is not compromised whatsoever.
It has a hard and lightweight ABS shell as well as a black EPS lining sponge fabric for shock absorption in the event of an impact.
It’s got an easy and dependable adjustment
For the adjustment, it not only comes in the small, medium and large sizes but it does have a spin dial which can be removed when need be as well as straps. This makes it the best kids snowboard helmet and simultaneously equally as good a helmet for adults
It’s got 11 vents as well as extra interior pads for a custom fitting
For a consistent air circulation, it has 11 vents that force cool air in and warm air out. There are also extra interior pads for a custom fit.
6. Smith Optics SMITH Men's Aspect Helmet
In addition to just having a sleek design, it does have a performance that’ll definitely be worth every penny you spend on it. here’s how much you’ll be getting from it.
It has got AirEvac 2 ventilation
When it comes to giving you utmost comfort while snowboarding, it boasts an outstanding 14 regulator adjustable vents. These, coupled up with an AirEvac 2 goggle-compatible ventilation system keeps your head cool and your goggles clear while snowboarding.
Has got room for additional accessories
As far as versatility is concerned, this is definitely the best snowboard helmet with audio you’ll get which is credited to none other than the Skullcandy audio system built in it.
A lightweight in-mold construction
Most importantly, for the constriction, it boasts a polycarbonate shell which should be enough to give you protection against any impact. In addition to having the PC shell, it also does have an EPS foam liner which provides the best shock absorption.
7. Smith Optics 2019 Holt (Matte White) Snowboard Helmets
Yet another outstanding helmet from Smith optics is the Smith Optics 2019 Holt (Matte White) Snowboard Helmet. There’s no way you could go wrong with this one and here’s why:
Has got 14 vents included in the design
Starting with the most striking feature on this helmet, you'll be getting an outstanding 14 vents which allow for optimal airflow. The Airflow system also does make it possible to adjust the 14 different vents throughout the ski season
Includes the Skullcandy audio
Besides the outstanding ventilation system, it also does have a Skullcandy audio included within it. There’s definitely no better way to listen to your favorite tunes as you ski down the slope
Includes warm ear pads for warmth
With the Bombshell ear pads, your ears will get the best cushioning. It is also a self-adjusting system which will also ensure that you’re kept as warm as possible throughout the winter.
There is the AirEvac ventilation that connects the shell to EPS liner hence keeps the goggles fog-free
8. Outer Shell Outdoor Helmet for Multi-sports
Does this one really have what it takes to give you the best time?
Let’s find out…
Starting with the most important of all, the safety on this helmet is guaranteed as it conforms with the safety standard EN 1077: 2007 Class B certified.
Besides this, it does have a thermoplastic reinforced ABS hard shell and a polysource for high energy absorbing EPS liner that keeps you safe at all times.
Offers both a comfortable and easy fit
To ensure that it as comfortable as possible, it has a soft fleece liner that keeps you warm at all times. You can also remove the inner fleece liner and ear pads which are easy to wash in order to keep you sweat and odor free.
You can also remove the goggle holder that you can attach to the helmet anytime you need to use it and there’s a knob that gives you a snug fit as well
Includes 12 vents to keep you cool
With the 12 vents you have on this, there is a high Actively Airflow Tunnel system which keeps you cool during hours of skiing.
9. Giro Ledge MIPS: Snow Helmet
Coming up second last on our reviews Giro Ledge MIPS that just so happens to be one of the best snowboard helmets as far as giving you comfort and protection is concerned.
A multi-directional impact protection (MIPS)
Boasting to be one of the few helmets with the MIPS design, the hybrid design merges the ventilated shell upper with the in-mold construction shell lower coupled up with sidewalls for added protection and style. There’s also an EPS foam liner added to it for shock absorption.
This type of construction gives it added durability and at the same time keeping things light.
A custom and comfortable fit
In the form 2 fit system, you'll be having on this helmet, it gives you a lower and lighter profile than most. It also does have an improved dial design that provides adjustments of up to 6cm plus a better stability
Outstanding ventilation system
There’s a low-profile button that gives this helmet a thermostat-like control. This gives you the ability to vary the ventilation faster and easier.
10. Traverse Sparrow Youth Ski/Snowboard & Snowmobile Helmet
Finally wrapping up our review, we’ve got the Traverse Sparrow Youth Ski/Snowboard & Snowmobile Helmet. Bound to offer both protection and comfort, you couldn’t go wrong with this one.
A hard ABS exterior and an EPS foam interior
Starting with the most important feature of all you could get on any snowboard helmet, it’s got a hard ABS exterior as well as an EPS foam interior.
Whereas the ABS exterior gives protection from shock, the EPS interior, on the other hand, is chock absorbing which ensures that no harm gets to the skull whatsoever- definitely the best kids snowboard helmet.
Plush earmuffs for warmth
For both comfort and warmth, it does have plush earmuffs. The fact that this snowboard helmet is equipped with all the safety and comfort features and it also conforms with safety certifications (EN 1077: 2007 and the CPS 16 CFR, part 1203 for bicycle helmets) qualifies it as one that’s worth every penny.
The padded chin strap gives a snug fit
In order to ensure you won’t have to experience the irritation of chaffing, the chin strap is padded hence providing a snug fit.
There’s also a durable rear goggle clip to keep the goggles safe and secure.
How to get the best snowboard helmets
Now that you’ve got 10 of the best simply a click away, here’s a buying guide, just as promised, to get you started on making your selection.
How safe is it?
Since the key reason as to why anyone would look for a snowboard helmet is to keep themselves from getting injured, it’s of utmost importance that you invest in one that’ll do you some justice
Here are to two key categories upon which safety is based:
- The outer shell: the shell is the outer layer of the helmet and normally is the hardest part. the best thing to do when selecting one would be to go for one with a really rigid surface such as ABS plastic that will protect your head against sharp objects, abrasion or knocks
- An inner liner: equally as important as the outer shell is the liner. If you happen to hit a hard object, the outer shell will take in some of the shock but not all of it which is where the inner liner comes into play. It’s normally made of foam material such as expanded polystyrene foam (EPS foam).
The size of the helmet
Once you're sure that your helmet is completely safe, you can go ahead and take a closer look at the fit. For the helmet to work properly, you’ll need to pick one that has a snug fit. Here’s what you should consider:
- Most of the helmets will come with a size chart from the manufacturer. You should keenly measure your size since the last thing you want is the helmet to be knocked off during a fall.
- If you normally have a beanie on underneath your helmet, you should go for one that’s slightly larger.
- As far as the size is concerned, I’d recommend that you also consider the weight. Too heavy a snowboard helmet will fatigue you and you definitely won’t have a good time.
Is it comfortable enough?
Yet another thing that you should consider is whether or not it’s comfortable enough to have on. With reference to our previous point, the size is also of utmost importance when it comes to comfort.
A good enough helmet should also have a venting system, this allows for optimal air circulation hence minimizing the build-up of sweat. The same can also be complemented by a moisture-wicking fabric that'll draw sweat away from the skin
Something else you should take a look at is the adjusting clips and clasps it’s got. With the best chin strap, it should be easy to get the helmet on and off.
Additional accessories- are they really necessary?
Well, when it comes to attachments for additional accessories, it’s entirely a matter of your personal preference. Some helmets normally come with a built-in camera mount, others have built-in audio speakers whereas others have detachable liners that allow you to customize the level of warmth you want.
Safety Features of Best Snowboard Helmets
Safety is of utmost importance when snowboarding and with a snowboarding helmet being the best way to ensure this, here’s how you should ensure safety while wearing one.
- First of all, you should always check the type of shell it’s got. This either has to be an ABS plastic or durable polyurethane construction.
- Then there’s the padding. The last thing you want is to feel the shock on your skull if you happen to fall. This should be thick enough but not uncomfortably thick- a snug fit should be enough
- One more thing you should pay close attention to is the straps. Ensure that they're secure and the locking system used doesn't threaten to come off while snowboarding since this means the helmet will be off your head.
Cleaning of Snowboard Helmets
Here’s how you should go about when cleaning it for it to last as long as possible:
- Starting with the visor, you should basically clean it every time you are done snowboarding. If possible, you should clean it once you get home after snowboarding. Doing otherwise will take a lot of effort which could result in scratches.
- For the vents and intakes, you need to ensure they are always clean and open to allow optimal air flow.
- Cheeks and pads should also be kept clean and the best way to do so is to follow the instructions from the manufacturer.
- Finally, to get rid of any odors, clean the interior of the helmet using a damp cloth. This should include the padding as well. For the helmet’s exterior, you should gently wipe it with a damp cloth.
We’re already through with our reviews and buying guide and you no have better chances of really getting the best snowboard helmet.
As we wrap things up, here’s my recommendation:
To get an all-around performance, I'd advise that you go with the Lucky Bums Snow Sport Helmet with Fleece Liner. It comes in 4 different sizes all of which have a micro adjustable strap for a comfortable fit. At the same time, it does give you utmost protection
For obvious reasons, a snowboard helmet is a must-have if you want to have the best time and with this in mind, I’d recommend that you really do take your time when selecting one.
Latest posts by Edward Hansen (see all)
- Best Snowboard Helmets 2019 : Enhanced Ventilation Facilities! - February 1, 2019
- Best Tent Stakes : Reviews and Buyer’s Guide Of 2019 - January 30, 2019
- Best Offset Smokers Of 2019 – Keep Your Food Tasty & Flavorous! - January 29, 2019