Cooking can be so much fun but just as it is the case with plenty of other things, getting the correct tools will make it even more enjoyable. This then brings us to today’s theme- getting the best portable gas stove.
Which one should you get?
Well, truth be told, this can be quite tricky especially if you’re doing it for the first time and that’s why we’ll be taking a look at some of the best portable gas stoves you could get in 2019.
Whether you’re a foodie or an outdoor enthusiast, our hours of research on getting the perfect stove will definitely count. Well, that being said, how about we start off by taking a look at the top 10 reviewed portable gas stoves?
Let’s get started, shall we?
Table of Contents
- Best portable gas stove: the best picks of 2019
- 1. Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stoves
- 2. Coleman Bottle Top Propane Stove
- 3. GAS ONE GS-3000 Portable Gas Stove with Carrying Case
- 4. Iwatani Corporation of America ZA-3HP Portable Butane Stove Burner
- 5. REDCAMP Portable Backpacking Stove
- 6. GAS ONE NEW GS-3400P Dual Fuel Portable Propane & Butane Gas Stove Burner
- 7. Koblenz PFK-400 Victoria 4-Burner Gas Stove
- 8. Basecamp Single Burner Angle Iron Camping Stove
- 9. Basecamp Double Burner Angle Iron Camping Stove
- 10. Deway Outdoor Mini Gas Camping Stove Burner
- How to choose the best portable gas stoves
- How to use a portable gas stoves
- Final verdict
Best portable gas stove: the best picks of 2019
If you’re looking for the best of the best, here’s a top 10 review of our recommended portable gas stoves. Let’s get started.
Durability and performance all in one. Bound to give you the best time while camping, this stove will definitely be the best portable gas cooker and here’s why:
It’s got a broad compatibility
Now here’s something that you won’t easily come across when shopping for a portable gas stove. Owing to the fact that it’s compatible with any 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed fuel canister, you won’t have to do a lot of searching in order to have a good time
Comes with a flame control
Besides just having a powerful flame to get the cooking done quickly, the flame control feature allows you to choose between rapid boiling or a slow simmer.
It does have a piezo ignition system which is instant and saves you the trouble of having to carry matches along with you
Compact and collapsible construction
Designed to be perfect for ultralight camping and backpacking, this portable lighter does come with a carrying case which enhances its portability.
As for the construction, it boasts an aluminum alloy and stainless steel both of which are able to withstand high temperatures
- angle-double-rightThe design is compact and collapsible hence perfect for camping.
- angle-double-rightDurable stainless steel and aluminum alloy construction
- angle-double-rightAn adjustable flame control valve
- angle-double-rightIt’s a little wobbly when something is boiling.
Looking for a reliable propane stove for outdoor use that’s both simple and reliable? Well, this is just it. let’s have a look at what it’s got.
Perfect flow technology
In order to give you a consistent performance even in the most extreme conditions, it does come with the perfect flow technology that makes this possible.
Besides just this, there is a wind baffle that helps to protect your burner from wind hence giving you maximum heat production.
10,000 BTUs of cooling power
As far as the cooking power is concerned, the 10,000 BTUs ought to suit you quite well. Get your cooking done as fast as possible.
In order to give you precise temperature control, you’ll be working with an adjustable burner. This makes it easy to set the temperature high enough to boil or moderate for a gentle simmer
Since you’ll be using it outside, it has been made with the burner and the base separate from the propane bottle. This configuration should be quick and easy to separate and put together.
- angle-double-right10,000 BTUs for the best cooking power.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got a separate burner and base for portability.
- angle-double-rightThe burner is adjustable hence giving you the perfect temperatures.
- angle-double-rightThough functional, the base is a little small and you need to be careful not to topple it over.
Easy to carry, a high BTU and easy to use- definitely the best for outdoor use. Let’s take a closer look at this is the best portable gas cooker for you.
Includes a piezo type electric starter
Boasting to have one of the best ignitions, the fact that it has a piezo electric starter makes it a reliable choice as compared to carrying matches. In addition to this, the starter has got a safety shut off system.
Comes with a carrying case
In order to make it easy to carry around, it’s got a carrying case included. This comes with a color/retailing packaging and you’ll also be getting a user manual
An outstanding 9000 BTUs
By having a BTU of up to 9000, it does have enough heat to match up to that of conventional household stoves.
Has got a heat resistant knob
Besides just conveniently being able to adjust the flame height, the fact that the knob is heat resistant makes this amazingly easy and fun to use.
- angle-double-right9000 BTUs hence able to exert enough power to match conventional stoves
- angle-double-rightHas for a piezo ignition system hence no need of lighters or matches.
- angle-double-rightFor convenient cooking, the knob is heat resistant.
- angle-double-rightThe case is a little bit flimsy
Now here’s something that’s definitely going to blow your mind. You’ll be getting more than just a fancy design with this one. Let’s take a closer look
High power rating
Starting with the most striking feature on this portable stove, you’ll be getting an outstanding 12,000 BTU/h. this should be enough to match up to the conventional cooking stoves and definitely serve as the best portable gas stove for camping.
An increased fuel efficiency
With the heat panel system, you’ll be having an increased fuel efficiency. With this, it’s definitely going to be worth every penny- gets to use as much of the heat as possible as it ensures the entire canister is utilized
Includes an automatic safety stop
With the automatic safety step and a reset lever, it’s definitely safe to use. The fact that it is CSA approved deems it equally as good a gas stove for indoor use.
- angle-double-rightHigh power of 12,000 BTU/hr for efficient cooking.
- angle-double-rightIt’s CSA approved for indoor and outdoor use.
- angle-double-rightComes with a carrying case for easy portability.
- angle-double-rightThey don’t come with rubber legs hence you need to improvise a support system for them.
Looking for something that’s bound to suit any outdoor activity perfectly? This is definitely what you should go for.
A short boil time
When it comes to the performance, it takes only a short 3 minutes for it to boil 1 liter of water in an environmental temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Speaking of the performance, you can adjust the height of the flame using the control valve to turn the heat up or down
A durable construction and build quality
For the construction, you’ll be getting an upgraded heat pipe, an aggregate heat slice and a copper radiator. It will pretty much be able to give you enough heat output hence a shorter cooking time
Compact and lightweight
Suitable for use for any outdoor activities since it is both compact and lightweight. You can simply put it in your pocket and take it with you anywhere you go. In addition to being lightweight, it does have a 7” diameter which is large enough for most cooking pots.
- angle-double-rightHas got a high boil time for quick cooking.
- angle-double-rightCompact and lightweight- it’s small in size and just as convenient.
- angle-double-rightIt’s got durable and quality construction.
- angle-double-rightThe ignition system may fail after a few times of use.
Looking for something really versatile? You should probably try this one out. Here’s everything it’s got in store for you.
Duel fuel compatibility
It is compatible with both the butane and the propane fuel tanks. It can operate conveniently on a single butane cartridge of 8 oz or a propane cylinder of 16 oz.
You will also be getting a propane converter regulator included.
Comes with a piezo ignition system
For the ignition system, you don’t have to worry about carrying a lighter or any matches with you to either your hike or camping session.
It also does have a flame supervision device that will cut off the gas when no flame is detected
Safe and amazingly easy to use
Beneath this portable gas stove is non-slip rubber legs which should prevent the stove from slipping as you’re using it or toppling over.
With the piezo ignition system and an adjustable heat dial, it won’t be hard for you use this portable gas stove
- angle-double-rightPiezo ignition system hence no need for matches at all.
- angle-double-rightDuel fuel compatibility- accepts both butane and propane.
- angle-double-rightIncludes a gas flow cut off mechanism for utmost safety.
- angle-double-rightIt might be flawed when used with propane.
Portability, reliability and completely easy to use. These are definitely not easy to get on just a single gas stove, right?
Includes 4 burner stoves
For a portable burner to use outdoors, this is not something you’ll get easily. Be best part about this burner is that each of them can have the flame height adjusted independently hence allowing you to have your perfect meal.
Easy to use and quality construction
Besides just being able to control the height of the flame on all the individual stoves separately, it includes metal stampings, an injection molding, a motor winding, and assembly.
Altogether, you’ll be working with the best quality for any outdoor activity. As for the ignition system, it’s got a manual ignition which minimizes the chances of an accidental fire; you, however, need to always have your box of matches or lighter with you
Totals to 16000 BTUs
Altogether, the 4 burner stoves give out as much as 16000 BTUs which should be enough to get your cooking done in a jiffy
It boasts a porcelain cover which shields it for maximum protection
- angle-double-rightTotals 16,000 BTUs for high performance.
- angle-double-rightFully adjustable flame control for perfectly cooked meals.
- angle-double-rightIncludes a porcelain cover that shields it for utmost protection.
- angle-double-rightIt’s not auto-ignited hence you need to always have a lighter or a box of matches.
Now here’s something that’s going to hold up pretty well even in the toughest conditions. Let’s take a look at how much we’ll be getting from it.
Boasting a design that is far much better than your typical cast iron stoves. The rugged nature of this iron camping stove will definitely stand up quite well even in the toughest conditions
Owing to the fact that it has got adjustable legs, you’ll easily raise or lower its height to where you’re comfortable with. In addition to this, if you’ll be using it in uneven ground, you can take advantage of this feature to get a level cooking surface.
Includes a range style cooktop
Besides the adjustable leg heights, the cooking top is variable in the sense that you can alter the height of the cooking vessel to be close to or away from the flame.
This gives you a cleaner burn with less soot build up.
- angle-double-rightAdjustable leg heights for a reliable cooking height.
- angle-double-rightA range style cooktop gives you the perfect cooking height from the flame.
- angle-double-rightDurable and rugged construction for utmost durability.
- angle-double-rightIt doesn’t come with a regulator hose.
Finally wrapping up our reviews, here’s something that will give you enough BTUs just like your conventional burners will. Let’s have a look at what it has in store for you.
Durable and heavy-duty construction
Starting with the build quality, you’ll be working with a durable welded frame, a thicker gas manifold system and a corrosion resistant brass valve.
Why are these important?
Altogether, they function to give you the best performance and at the same time ensure that the gas burner gets to serve you as long as possible.
Adjustable legs for a convenient height
As you do your cooking, you’ll be able to easily adjust the height; get to raise or lower the legs of the gas stove to your desired height.
More so, you can be able to range the style top and raise the cooking level hence improve combustion
It’s got an outstanding 30,000 BTU
With as much as 30,000 units for the BTU and each of the individual stoves having a BTU rating of 15,000, you’ll be though with the cooking amazingly fast.
- angle-double-rightAdjustable legs for a convenient cooking height.
- angle-double-rightA durable and heavy-duty construction for the best performance.
- angle-double-rightA total of 30,000 BTUs.
- angle-double-rightBe careful to maintain it since it rusts when exposed to moisture.
10. Deway Outdoor Mini Gas Camping Stove Burner
We’re already halfway on our reviews and we’re doing great so far. Here’s an outstanding outdoor mini gas from Deway. Let’s take a closer look
Durable build quality
Boasting an aluminum alloy and a stainless-steel body, not only is it going to be heat resistant but it’s also one of the sturdiest you’ll get for your money.
Has got adjustable valve controls
You’ll conveniently be able to have the valve anywhere from maximum fire for a quick boil all the way down to a slow simmer. Even though it is a mini burner, it’s definitely going to be worth every penny
Compact and lightweight
Weighing only 120 grams, it is definitely going to be a convenient gas camping stove burner to have with you outside.
It is compact, lightweight and does have a foldable design which should be easy to carry and use. Whether you’re looking for a reliable burner for mountain climbing, camping or picnicking, it’s definitely the best.
- angle-double-rightDurable build quality- has an aluminum alloy and stainless-steel body.
- angle-double-rightIncludes an adjustable valve for easy temperature variations.
- angle-double-rightCompact and lightweight- weighs only 120g hence easy to carry with you.
- angle-double-rightDespite its durable construction, be sure to observe utmost care to avoid compromising its performance and durability.
How to choose the best portable gas stoves
Now that you have 10 of the best just a click away, it’s time to take a look at the buying guide and have utmost knowledge on the key features you need to take into account when shopping for the best.
The weight of the stove
Since our major area of concern, today is to get the best portable gas stoves, you should get something that won’t have you gasping for breath after carrying it for a few meters. The weight of the stove is of utmost importance.
If you’re searching for the best portable gas stove for camping, I’d recommend that you go for a cartridge stove and here’s why:
- They’re small in size and obviously weigh much less.
- As compared to other portable stoves, they are maintenance free
- You can detach the cartridges after use and then, later on, attach them if the tank is not empty.
The rule of thumb is quite simple, If you’re looking to have the best time out with friends, then going for one that comes with less weight is definitely the best option.
The average boil time
In order to know the stove’s operating ability, you’ll need to take a look at the performance which is also known as the boil time.
This is basically the time it takes for the stove to boil one quart of water using the recommended fuel for the stove at full throttle and at 70 degrees F at sea level.
An ideal range is between 3 and 5 minutes but you should have in mind that lower temperatures at high altitudes may reduce the performance. You should go for a stove that is able to boil a quart of milk quickly since doing otherwise would mean it would take longer to cook other meals
The burn time
Yet another measure that dictates whether a gas stove is good enough to use is the burn time. Also known as the efficiency, the burn time basically determines how long the stove can run at a full throttle on a fuel tank or a cartridge.
The best way to go when it comes to the burn time is a 10-minute burn time per 1 ounce of burning fuel. If you’re looking for a portable gas stove for camping, then I’d recommend that you go for one with 4 ounces of fuel per day. This will handle 3 quick meals pretty good.
Stabilizers and igniters
Yet another important feature to look into when selecting a portable gas stove is any additional features away from the norm. For outdoor use, a portable gas stove with a piezo igniter or a stabilizer.
- A stabilizer: these are normally attached to the bottom of the fuel canisters in order to reduce the odds of upright igniters tipping over which can be quite frustrating.
- Piezo igniter: this is basically a spark producer on some canister fuel stoves and it can be quite handy if you lose or wet your matches especially if you’re out camping.
How to use a portable gas stoves
Though it may seem difficult at first, it will get easy once you master how everything works. Here’s how to go about when using a portable gas stove:
- With your gas stove on a flat surface remove the pan support from the stove’s top. Turn it over and have the support facing upwards ready to hold your pan.
- Open the stoves cartridge cover and remove the lid from your gas canister then slot the gas cartridge gently into the stove.
- Press the cartridge stop lever down so that the gas canister slots into place. Ensure it is in place correctly before using your stove.
- Turn the control knob to the ignition position. The stove should light up once you hear a click and you can then adjust the flame to the desired height.
- As you prepare your meal, ensure your cooking pans are of the correct sizes since oversized pans can direct the heat downwards.
- After you’re done with the cooking, turn the flame off by turning the ignition knob to the ‘off’ position. Ensure that the flame is extinguished. You can then disconnect the gas cartridge and put a protective cap over it. leaving the cartridge inside the cooker can be quite hazardous.
We’re done with our best portable gas stove reviews and it’s now time to wrap it all up. If you’re all about getting a bang for your buck, I’d recommend that you go for the Koblenz PFK-400 as it’s large, reliable and durable.
For maximum performance, the Basecamp Double Burner Angle Iron Camping should suit you best.
Since you’ve got the comparison chart, the buying guide, and the product listing. Even so, go for something that you really need. Don’t let your decision be inclined with the price or the brand. Realize why you need one and for what activity then go ahead and narrow down on a portable stove that’ll suit you best.